FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How many candidates are in each cohort?
In order to provide the most customized experience and build a true community, each cohort is limited to 24 participants, with typically a 1:4 teacher to student ratio. Our international programs tend to have smaller cohorts; the Berkeley program has occasionally sold out.
Can you tell me more about the candidates?
The program typically attracts an extremely global and diverse candidate pool. Historically, about 50% of the candidates are residents of the region where the program is held (US, Europe, Asia). The entire program is conducted in English. Historically, about 75% of the participants are currently senior leaders (director and up) looking to add coaching to their leadership skill-set; the remaining 25% are independent executive coaches or looking to transition into an independent coaching practice. Participants come from many industries and a variety of functional areas.
Where do the practicums take place?
At the end of the residential program, candidates conduct several live coaching sessions with business professionals under the supervision of our faculty. These are live coaching sessions - not role plays. For the Berkeley program, previous practicums have been held at companies such as Salesforce.com, Moody's, Adobe.com and Pixar. In Thailand, practicums have been conducted with organizations such as the Thailand Management Association, Siam Cement and the Stock Exchange of Thailand. In Italy, practicums have been held at L'Oreal, Sanofi, and EF - Education First.
What are the accommodations?
In the Florence program, participants stay in the Villa Godiola in simple but large rooms, many with views, then transfer to a hotel in Milan for the practicum. In Thailand, candidates are in residence at a four-star hotel in Bangkok at the beginning and end of the program, with approximately 6 nights at a coastal resort in the middle. In Greece, participants begin at a 5-star hotel on the island of Rhodes, then transfer to a modern hotel in Athens for the practicum. In the Berkeley program, candidates are in residence in single-occupancy rooms, some with European-style shared baths, at the historic UC Berkeley Faculty Club for the entire program.
What happens during the six months follow-on after the immersion program?
After the 10-day immersion program, candidates have six months to complete the certification requirements. These include:
- 50 hours of coaching with clients of their choice (may be paid, pro bono, barter etc.);
- Completing coaching hours with their faculty coach (typically 6 additional hours as coachee);
- Submitting an audio recording of one hour of coaching;
- Writing their final exam, which includes short answer and reflection essays;
- Attending four video conferences on topics of interest to the cohort (live or recorded).
Please note: requirements are subject to change and will be announced to each cohort in advance. Successful completion is evaluated by the Berkeley ECI faculty and Faculty Director Dr. Mark Rittenberg.
How does the application process work?
Before you apply, we would like to learn more about you and answer any questions you have about the program. To schedule your conversation with our team, email firstname.lastname@example.org. During this conversation, we'll want to know a bit about your background and why you're seeking coaching certification through our program. We will confirm with you if we think our program will meet your expectations and let you know if you are accepted into the program.After the conversation, you'll complete our online application form and submit your deposit to reserve your place.
How is this program certified?
University of California Berkeley Executive Education certifies candidates as executive coaches upon successful completion of the 10-day residential program and the six-month follow-on, including completing coaching hours and the final exam. Some candidates seeking an additional credential choose to submit the program for review directly to the International Coaches Federation (ICF) as coach-specific training hours when applying for an ICF credential via the ICF Portfolio Path, and we are happy to provide supporting materials for this. We are not currently ICF certified as our Academic Director Dr. Mark Rittenberg is not ICF certified himself (and with 30+ years of coaching is unlikely at this time to pursue MCC).
I have more questions...
Feel free to reach out to email@example.com to schedule a conversation with Jennifer Caleshu, VP of Marketing & Operations. She can also connect you with previous participants to hear their perspectives.